We would like to thank all members of staff, patients and friends who kindly let us photograph them. Charity No. 235757
The Tiverton & District Hospital was originally opened in 1860 as an Infirmary and was not known as a ‘hospital’ until 1912.
A public meeting was organised in 1964 by the local Rotary Club, to look at ways in which help could be given to the hospital. The League of Friends was then formed by a group of volunteers, with Hon. Alderman William Trickey, MBE as its founder Chairman. He continued in that role until his retirement in 2004.
Its purpose was to provide funds for equipment to improve the services of the various departments of the hospital for the benefit of patients and staff, whilst enhancing all aspects of comfort and care for its patients.
We provide a link between the hospital and the community it serves, and strive to develop and improve local provision of many, varied services. We do our utmost to defend these valuable services if threatened.
In October 2008 the League launched an appeal to raise in excess of £60,000 towards the purchase of a state-
Due to the generosity of individuals, anonymous local sponsors and the wonderful support of clubs and organisations such as Rotary Clubs, Tiverton Town Band and a local motor cross club, the target was reached by early in the Summer of 2009.
One of our local benefactors was Mr. Bill Jones, who is pictured (right of photo) handing over a cheque to the League for this appeal. Also pictured are Mr. Arthur Govier (centre), Chairman of the League and Mr. Doug Wilson who is the Superintendent Radiographer at the hospital.